Saturday, November 24, 2007

Round 4 Commentary

I note that the designers are entered in a different order this time...so mine isn't first on the list. I guess I will leave mine in its place and start at the beginning as usual.

Brandon: I really like this fabric. Very pretty colors. The bow is great on hte back as well. I can't tell from the pics, but is this hem asymetrical? I also didn't see the straps at all on the first pic. I wonder if the design would have had more visual strength in the bodice without the ruffle-y lace. Of course that is a very "boxpleat" preference, is it not? hehehe I guess I never can escape my own design ethos!

Andrea: I was sure this one was Mario and Gianni for the silliest reason....the corset stitching on the bodice! hehehehe I was enchanted by the flowers on the straps and was wondering how on earth you did it. Thanks for detailing it in your blog! I thought the pattern use was especially nice at the waist/bodice. The buckle also was an interesting use.

Jose': I like the fabric choice, but I am not so sure about the transition to the back of the skirt. There were several dresses that I had my wonderings on this topic...I guess I prefer things to blend rather than hop. I would like to hear your description of the bodice as well. I have a feeling that the contrast is a petal, but not sure that it captures....and not sure at all that that is what you meant! :)

Mario & Gianni: This one reminded me of Leigh's Red Carpet design on both shape and hem...great minds? The fabrics are amazing....and I wondered if they were cottons. hehehehe Especially that super cool metallic (which you have already addressed in chat!) I remember how people complained about the black on the red-carpet gown you guys did, but I have to say, I think it should have been green.....a super dark green, to be sure, but with a definite green tone rather than black on this one.

Mine: The fabric looks crisp, which is a relief. I was worried about that one as it is tricky to imagine pressing a baloon skirt like this. I hope whoever buys it on eBay has a steamer! hehehe My fabric pattern looks very subdued. Of course that is what I was going for, within the limits of the oversized pattern. The dark blue piping is lost in the pictures....you can't see any of it along the top neck edge. I guess that is what I get for doing it tiny. I also wonnder if the skirt looks a little unbalanced. the skirt under the bow needs to be poufed a bit.

Debbie: The jacket with the removable cuffs is interesting. I am impressed with the use of the STRIPED fabric on this though...and I imagine pulling the bodice out of the strip was probably pretty tricky. With that it mind, my adaptation would be to cut the straps on the bodice. It loses a bit of the smooth angularity it is evoking. Very nice though.

Karen: I love the fabric and the neckline is really great. The plunge works very well. The ensemble looks more daywear to me though. I am not sure if it is the hat, or what. And I am not sure about the pants either. I read on your blog that it was Ted's idea, but it heightened the "daywear" effect for me. I think the design itself in an "evening" fabric wouldn't say that (the gown and pants anyway). Of course, no one would ever accuse me of being particularly "HIP" and/or current in my tastes, so maybe I am just showing my own weakness. Sigh!

Judith: The Applique' is very pretty. I felt like the white on the big dots lost a bit of the boldness though. Maybe in all reds for the applique'? I know the flying dove is symbolic but... I love the butterfly shapes, especially on the bodice (so it was worth the effort, if frustrating!) The fit is also lovely. Not sure I like the gauntlets...but then, I don't often like that style, so my opinin may not be valid on this count either! hehehe

Brenda: The wrap is very cool on this. I like the chained design. When I look at the skirt, I feel like the use of the stripes could have been more "purposeful" though. I expected them to chunk down spiral-wise or something; I personally love chevrons. Of course, I have done the geometry trying to do designs like that and it is a real struggle; perhaps I am just not seeing the pattern properly....

Leigh: My first thought was that it needs a big petticoat to fill the skirt to the bodice edge, then when I saw the back of the dress and the zipper not all the way up, I realized that the bodice just needed to sit lower down. It sure is hard to know if what we see is what was meant! The train/panels did not show well in the photographs. I wonder how they were presented to the judges. :) I was glad to read that they were removable though. Very nice. You got away with the least "print" on your dress to great effect.

I think my vote this round goes to Mario and Gianni, although Judith is a strong contender again. I find myself, like many of the viewers, drawn towards the same designers in each round. Of course, we have seen that each designer has his or her own following and strong vision, so that is not that surprising.

As I said in my previous post about this round, I found a place in myself that , while perhaps not the most universally satisfying for the "public" was more satisfying to me. "Luminous" as a design is partially a look, but also a feeling I had while making it.

There was a long pause in production between rounds 4 and 5. We didn't hear any results or much news in the interim. I think it was a convention break.

Looking forward to results and the next round. (I am a little worn-out by the 2 week schedule. I know it is better for the at home designers, but I feel like we are losing some momentum. People seem to be commenting less. Are we losing viewers?)

No comments: