Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Secret to Surviving February





February has never been my favorite month, and in the depths of our extra cold winter (which is breaking as I finally get around to posting this.....so slow, I know. I will get the rhythm of this blogging one of these days!) I decided that what I REALLY needed was some color. So here it is! (Complete with a pic of what it actually looked like the day these events occurred.)




This first picture was my favorite. Lilies with the tips edged in a sunny yellow, irises and sweet pea for height. The last time I bought irises at the Flower Market they were really expensive and most didn't even open up when I got them home. I had already purchased the lilies and knew that irises would be just the thing so I bought them anyway with the assumption that I would be disappointed. Not only were they much cheaper (slightly more than half what I paid last time) every single one opened up gloriously....if somewhat after the pic was taken. The sweet pea also opened up all along its length, although the lower ones were browning by the time the top ones opened.

This arrangement sucked the water down like crazy. It is in one of my BIG vases and it went dry (seriously) 4 times. I was pleased at how well this one lasted, looking great right up to the end.

The more FALL flavored arrangement was n's favorite. The lilies were dyed I think (as their leaves had a reddish brown tinge as well that was more noticeable as the arrangement faded.) They were so beautiful I couldn't pass them up even though I already had lilies bundled under my arm when I saw them. They were surprisingly inexpensive....which meant what it usually does, that they were little tired and weren't going to last quite as long. Lilies are actually good survivors and will often recover and last longer than other flowers in an arrangement; epecially if you are vigilant and re-do your arrangement after a few days and trim the stems again. I don't know that that is what the professionals do, but it works for me.

The Orange Gerber Daisies were selected specifically to go with the lilies in question. When I got them home I almost chickened out, but they didn't work with anything else I had so in they went. Gerbers are always wired and have plastic cups on them to protect them in the shop/market as they are pretty fragile as far as I can tell.



Tulips are what I think of for Spring so I couldn't resist, even though I have trouble arranging tulips every time I get them. These ended up really floppy when we got them home. With the stupendously UPRIGHT Sweet Pea, I was fairly disatisfied with the result when we finished all the arranging. I knew s would like them no matter what (PINK) so I just tried to balance the droop all around the outside the best I could. After my friend who shopped with me left, and I retreated to my office, a miracle took place. The tulips, newly trimmed, sucked up the fresh water and stood right back up again.

All in all, an excellent trip to the Flower Market. Color that I desperately needed, a gorgeous hot house smell for almost a week and an excellent adventure. All for about $30. I think I will miss Korea when I have to go.... k.

P.S. The opening picture in each post is actually a "real time" image of what my office looks like when the post is being written....well this time when it was inspired, but you get the idea. My creative space is rarely tidy and in fact quite alarms my beloved much of the time. This is why I always get an office when we move around. hehehehe (It was NOT a pretty sight when s in her role as "the baby" came on the scene and usurped my office space as her bedroom back in the day.)

No comments: