Sunday, January 2, 2011

Too Long and New Plans

I spent the Week between Christmas and New Year's cleaning my office.  I know you aren't going to believe it but you can actually SEE the floor.  All of it.

Of course that means I can't ever sew again right?!?!  sigh!  My husband keeps thinking that another cutting space would solve my floor issues, but I keep assuring him that just isn't going to help.  I *like* working on the floor.  I like sorting and cutting, I like storing projects I am thinking about out in plain sight so, well, so I keep thinking about them.

So the clean office has made me think about what it is that I really want to happen this year.  After the surprising return of my work "mojo" (that is such a silly phrase, isn't it?!?) I am feeling newly inspired to WORK.  My dear friend Pam Seeman of Paintbox Designs says she is willing to take stuff to the Tonner Convention this Spring so I have to really get ready for that!  (Of the minimalist income Boxpleat made last year 94% was from the last convention when I sent stuff to Pam! hehehe  I actually did the math.)  In pursuit of that plan, I hope to actually make some of the things that were cut years ago and that have been sitting here in my office....things from Hawaii for example.  I actually threw out a lot of things that I finally decided I really wasn't ever going to make.

I also have big plans to work on quilting donations and more pillowcases.  The box of pillowcases I sent found a home at a battered women's shelter in Loveland, CO.  Thanks to the ladies who helped with that.  I hope that the ladies and kids who get them will be comforted and encouraged.  sigh!

I also have been reviewing some of the "reporting" style challenges that are circulating around the internet.  http://patchworktimes.com has a UFO (Un-Finished Object) challenge that sounds fun.  They also do a "stashbusting" report each week to encourage the participants to actually track their fabric and use more than they buy in any given week.  Tricky!  I actually was considering that I should try to decrease my stash of great fabrics by actually USING them before we leave Korea so I can justify stashing a whole bunch more when I am ready to leave. hehehe


Other plans include earning some money towards the replacement sewing machine that I am going to need sooner rather than later (because I can't seem to get my machine serviced here.  sigh!) Since the top of the line runs in the $10,000-$15,000 range, I guess I am going to have to think a lot about my profit margins and actually earn more than I spend. heheh

In the meantime, I hope to maintain some of the inspiration I have felt as I worked the last few months, being excited about sewing.  That is one of the things that I sincerely missed when it was gone, and was really surprised at how long it took to come back.

Happy New Years! k.

No comments: