Saturday, December 1, 2007

My Judges Notes and a Few Pics I found

Apparently, despite my best intentions, I never sent the pictures to Ted, for which I apologize. I wonder if the Universe was trying to tell me something then. (And probably now as well! hehehehe)

Here are my Judges notes, that actually got saved. I will try to insert a few pics, including one of the Melon Colored Prototype with the Sari Wrap as intended. I guess I just couldn't imagine that, knowing it was supposed to be from India, the wrap would be so confusing. Sigh! We all know what happens wehn we ASSUME eh?

Here are the notes:


1) What was your concept for this gown?
When I first heard that Susie would be the challenge I looked over all her designs and at the Map of all her locations. I noticed that there were no outfits from India, so I decided that it would be fun to do a modern take on the beautiful Saris of that region. (There has been much discussion of Bollywood on one of the doll boards I follow as well.) This design is called "Mumbai in Motion." In Bollywood movies the actresses are able to dance and run in their elegant saris, but I am quite sure that it would either fall right off or trip me up. This design incorporates the flow of the sari with the ease of movement allowed by pants. The top is in the traditional Choli style.

2) Why did you choose that particular fabric? and 3) Why did you choose that color?
This fabric quite literally leapt out at me while at the fabric store. I had selected several pieces of chiffon from my stash and headed out to the store to see what I could find by way of gold trims for the border. This fabric was a perfect color match for two of my choices (and so I actually made it in 2 colorways!) I like the way the color change in the fabric also suggests motion. The other advantage to this fabric is that it was light and reasonably easy to work with. (It was also inexpensive and of a style that seems readily available, at least here where I am.)


4) Do you think your entry is appropriate for a Susie Design?
As a fusion of Indian and Western attire, I think it works very well. It firmly maintains it's visual connection to the traditional in both color and drape, while updating the flowing "covered-up" look of the lower sections of the sari with some skinny modern pants

5) What element do you think distinguishes your design and sets it apart from others? Cut? Fit? Embellishment? Color choice?
I tried to be very careful on this round to make my design easily reproducible by the factory (which I don't know that I have been as successful with in past rounds.) The construction is very straight forward without limiting the impact. I was especially pleased with my solution to the "buttons" on the side of the pants. If I were doing it for a customer, I probably would have created thread loops by hand, but I was pleased to be able to use the picot edge of a purchased trim inset in the placket which sped up the process considerably and makes uniformity in size and spacing much easier.

6) What element of this challenge was the most difficult for you?
I had to keep backing off from adding more details. One version had an applied trim along the sleeve edge and neckline....but due to the shape and size it had to be hand applied. Keeping to my goal of reproducibility was tough.

7) What element of this challenge was the most enjoyable? I really like the idea of fusion fashion. This was also the first time that a challenge didn't automatically disqualify my first lovely dream of a design with specifics! On every other round I actually had to go back to the drawing board several times to get it right.

8) If you could change one thing about your design what would it be? If I were making it as a custom piece I think I would have decorated the Pallu of the Sari wrap more (perhaps with sequins and beads.) And, well that hand applied trim was cool but just time consuming. :) I also wanted to submit my design as a pair with the two colorways....the other chiffon is a nice match for the bright coral color. I was inspired by the two versions of the "China Girl" outfit we were directed to pay close attention to at the start of the round.

No comments: