Friday, October 19, 2007

Bio and Portraits

At some point early in the competition....between Gene and Ellowyne I believe (as you will see from the pics) we were asked to provide a Short Bio/Introduction and a Portrait as well as some pics for Pat Henry of FDQ to use in the magazine. Now I don't know if you have ever been called on to represent your whole self to "strangers" but it is a fairly stressful project. What should one say about oneself...what is going to sound pretentious, or idiotic?

In addition to the WORDS, we had to provide images. I think I am like most people in that, sometimes I look in the mirror and think I look pretty good; most of the time though I look tired or frazzled, or I don't even have time to look! One afternoon while Nathan (my dear husband) and Isaac (the baby) were sleeping soundly, I took my handy dandy camera, and, holding it at arms length, took about a million pictures. Needless to say most were terrible, but if you look to the right of your screen you will see the "official" portrait I selected. The Hibiscus was picked from the bush I am standing in front of. I personally was very pleased with the picture...surprisingly so. My mother says it doesn't look like me (which is odd.) This is the picture Nathan took when we went out later to take some more pictures near our house...
He wanted to be sure to highlight the exotic locale, the newborn status of our child etc. to sway the public vote! hehehehe It is good to be married to a man who supports my bizarre little business. (Through out this competition, he has been completely supportive, going so far as to suggest that I needed to buy one of every type of doll they COULD choose, so I would be ready for every round! Yeah, he is nuts, but I love him....and didn't take advantage, well not too much!)


So here Is the actual text I sent for my Bio. The short version was published in the last FDQ when all the selected designers were highlighted.


I was really excited when I first heard about Project Dollway. I am not a trained designer by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the process of drafting new patterns and confronting challenges. Early in the application process, I met Pat Henry in one of the doll chat rooms and told her she had to pick me for the competition so we could get a baby. (We had been in the process of adopting for about a year, and have found that our family planning works on a principle of "Maximum Inconvenience." I thought an international competition with high stakes that would extend over many months and require a great deal of focus and attention was just the thing!) I am pleased to say that my plan worked perfectly! Even if I am unlucky enough to be the first competitor eliminated, Project Dollway will have served its purpose. We received a call from our adoption agency the day after the application deadline: we had been selected by a birthmother for her baby, and we would just have to wait until he was born. He came home from the hospital two days before our first challenge! So Thank YOU to all those who had a part in the selection process and in this competition: We couldn't have done it without you!

Boxpleat Fashions has been the ideal work for me while being a stay at home mom. It has given me professional and personal satisfaction that a "job" never could, while still allowing me to be home with my daughter Senneth, and our new son Isaac. Thank you to all my great customers who inspire and whose patience knows no bounds. Thanks also to my Mom and my wonderful husband who continually encourage me to strive for more in my business (and who listen to exhaustive descriptions of fabrics, how the pleating isn't working and how if I could just figure out how to....)

I have come a long way from the paper towels and masking tape dresses I used to make when I was 6. If only my current favorite fabrics were so cheap and easy to acquire! I look forward to participating in Project Dollway for as long as they will let me.

Although my website is terribly out of date, you can see some of my work and archives at http://www.boxpleat.com Likewise, I won't be taking on any custom orders until Isaac is a bit older, but please email if you would like to be notified for salesroom openings. (My salesrooms are typically body-type specific so be sure to specify who you collect.) email: k@boxpleat.com and put "mailing list" in the subject line.

No comments: