Saturday, October 27, 2007

Reactions to Round 2 Ellowyne

I took notes as a gazed upon their amazing beauty, so these really are my "reactions this time. The names were at the bottom, so I tried to guess before I got there. Some, I actually got....others didn't have a specific vibe, but all were beautiul and full of interest. I can't believe that Ted was "disappointed" with this group of submissions at the time. Obviously we don't think as he does, but isn't that part of the fun. I did have some questions about the application of the "rules" though and wonder if I was too "bound" by them.

I hope everyone will post their text somewhere so we can read the poem or journals along with the designs. I had fun writing mine. I will post it in the next post. Ted said we were supposed to base our designs on the doll/poem and then told us a little later that he thought we were all too obsessed with the poems. Hard to read minds, but I thought THAT was the point, as you will see in my journal/responses to hte Judge Questionaire.

Mine....I am in the first position again....will we always be? I am very pleased by the pictures this time. Much better than the Gene ones for mine. My pleats, ah, my pleats, they show up well. They are my Pride and Joy! I was trying to go for the anti-frill....all the ruffles on Chills always surprised me since it talks about how they leave her "cold." Who knows.

I do want to point out for the viewing audience that (again with the mini-details that don't show...sigh!) the brooch on her lapel is a pendant watch with gray/lavendar pearls. I would like to thank Vicky Garnier of Minimode, who despite being so busy she can't even really "do" Minimode, let me come over and ransack her treasures. The watch head is amazing, and the color match on the pearls is gorgeous for buttons and brooch. She is the best!

Mario and Gianni: I was originally contemplating a bow at the neck solution on mine, whew! That would have been tough. I do notice that throughout the designs there are several ideas that creep up in different combinations. Great minds think alike. I like the interesting shape of the skirt....although I think I would have liked the band at the bottom and on the cuffs to be solid rather than the gathered lace. A little velvet edge perhaps. hehehe I was totally amazed by the reversal on the skirt/vest. Very nice.

Debbie: I guessed this one. I was surprised to note that Nevermore's hair is down in this one....and several others. I think it serves Debbies Design, but I am not sure that I feel like that maintains a strict adherence to the "rules" as we were told.....of course, THAT isn't Debbie's concern. I was just surprised as we were told to design FOR the doll we chose. I was never one for "nipple showing" over corsets, but I know that is hugely popular. Debbie is much better than I am at having her finger n the pulse of the buying public as well, so.....I also think the skirt and top should either be closer or further apart. It didn't look intentional enough to my eye. I like the hemline on the skirt. I also wish I could see the coat better.

Karen: I guessed Brenda or Karen, but I can not tell you why both of those popped in to mind. My first reaction was, How are these 5 pieces? As I looked at the first picture. I hashed it all out with Ted that the outfit had to be 4 then 5, or 5 then 4. This is something I noticed on several of the other designs.....is that what Ted was so disappointed about? As for the whole notion of "leaving the feathers on the chicken" isn't Ellowyne all about being over the top?!?! Back tp Karen: I think I would have liked to see a jacket closure of some kind. I wonder if my monitor is playing fair with the colors on this round too. I will bet that what looks brown is actually a rich bronze and probably is quite striking in person (the center panel on the Bodice is where I noticec it most.) When I looked at the last pic with the fur and hat, I thought it was very "classic" but I am not sure wht my brain meant by this.....It is lovely, though. I especially like the sleeves pushed up pic.

Judith: I had no guess on this one. I love the striped fabric on the tunic. (I am a fabric addict after all!) This fits wih Red, White and Very Blue very well and I think it was an excellent design to fit in that side of Ellowyne. Wen I was choosing which doll to use, I thought R,W and VB was the least "Ellowyne-y" of the bunch, but I really like the way this works. When looking at the pics I said "She's got something underneath." (I saw a hint of the red sash through the semi-sheer fabric!) I noticed the "bag" in the first picture and thought it was a prop. This is a GREAT bag. Amazing.

Brenda: I see the clock! (I obssessed about the clock aspect from the Chills Poem.) I think the brooch and chain drape is very interesting. The dress fabric is wonderful but looks a bit stiff (pictures? I thought the same about Debbie's last round.) If I were going to make it, I think I would make the sleeves wider or narrower. E has such big hands that narrower would require closures, but I think it could go either way. The wrap is VERY E, I think. I only count 4 pieces though. Am I missing something?

Leigh: THe ruffle on her bum surprised me....I actually jumped a bit. (Which then made me laugh! I did just wake up after all. hehehe) How would you SIT in that though. Is the little sweater/jacket knitted? How could there be time?!?! I like the group a lot as a whole, but I am not sure how this applies to the 4/5 issue that I thought was central to the challenge. I wish the challenge had been to just to a mix and match to achieve the MOST combinations (from 1 to 5 pieces.) That would have been more fun.

Safina: I guessed this one too. I will bet the colors are great in person. I can see the irridescent silk has the pink in it, but it isn't showing well on the monitor. I love the ruched edge on the straigt skirt and the velvet edge on the lace. I wonder if the jacket is a bit too much like the Bitter Green original though, neck ruffle and all. When we initially received the challenge, I thought the idea was to make an additional 5 pieces that would interact with the original like an expansion pack. I had a ton of ideas how to expand on the basic Chills Coat for mine.....there are just so many ways to go on this challenge. It surprises me that Ted was so specific in his interpretation. I guess it was HIS challenge. :)

Brandon: There is the Sleeve again. Great minds think alike....I think I like the SIZE of your sleeve better than mine. :) I really like the 3 combination. The skirt line is great and I love the low buckle(s?) Don't much care for the cape...although I love the fabric in it, and see why it would be good to draw out the color from the pinstripe.

Jose': The jacket in the first picture was my least favorite part of this design. The leather details are hard to make dainty, so they look a bit blocky to me....The sheer blouse is GORGEOUS, especially the sleeve edge. Adding the skirt at the end surprised me as I thought we were already up to 5 pieces. I was counting the reversible belt/sash as it represents a substantial part of the outfit, but I guess that could count under the "accessory" category.

Andrea: My first thought (from Pic 1) was "Now how is THIS going to result in 5 pieces?" Then in my notes I wrote "Ah, unconventional layering. I wish I could get the hang of this." The sheer fabric is nice on the top of piece 2. The vest is really nice too, but I think the color from dress 2 is washing out. Pictures are going to be trouble throughout this competiton I think. :) I still don't count 5 pieces. Am I missing something?

Christopher: The bright fabrics/palette leapt out at me. I should have been able to guess this would be Christopher. :) Is the top actually a catsuit? The bag is an interesting design. I don't much care for the white vest though. Did Christopher win this challenge to stay in? I don't think so, but I don't know because the choices are so wide ranging and interesting.

When all is said and done, I really just can't figure out what was so "diasppointing" about this round. Was it because we are not Ted? I think it is pretty clear that each designer has a strong vision and amazing skill. I like them, I like them all.

No comments: