Friday, October 19, 2007

Process Notes Round 1

This Post will come directly from my Journal which was written during the Round. I have the most notes for this round. As the pace became more frantic, I tended to record less. In the next post I will try to recreate what I sent in response to teh Judges questions...unless I can get Ted to find me a copy. (For some reason I must not have saved the file. Sigh! I think it was just an email and my Sent messages file is set for Purge!)

The Gene Challenge

"I read the challenge loosely at 3:47 a.m. when I was up feeding the baby. Initially I was dismayed at it being a "modern" interpretation for Gene as I imagine the rest of the designers probably don't have collections of vintage patterns etc for inspiration. It will still be fine though..."

"I thought I would try the chained rhinestone thing I have been dreaming about for about a year...but I can only find the white ones. Argh! The turquoise AB ones are here somewhere but I can not find them. They're in a bag with the little rings I bought for matching bracelets. Seems like I had them out getting stuff ready for Gene Con but who knows now."

So the next thought is hte same design idea for the body of the dress (cowl draping across the bust, slim bias cut line maybe flared or trained low down) using the tiny leaf jewelry findings and crystals."

"So then the question of straps: I got to thinking I should do bias straps...maybe 3 (2 not enough, 4 too many is my theory) Can I do bias straps that small? What about the ribbon I have? The ribbon is going to be easier I'm sure...but will it result in a "no go" for being too easy?"

"The leaf findings are called bails. Found some at www.shipwreckbeads.com search for bail Ack! They had silver but it appears to have changed. The new silver doesn't say "small." Price is pretty good though in bulk. .06/per Now to research some techniques and do some drawings."

"I slept the first part of the night without baby because Nath took duty but hte 3 a.m. shift woke me up even in the office so I got him (nath) to trade after and hour or so. Both are still sleeping now and I need to get to business."

"Work is progressing but I still feel flustered and behind. The smooth sloper is done (although I need to recut the neckline and maybe the back) Now to figure out how to attach the pleated front details to the sloper for cutting. Hmmm"

"The pettern is workiing although in the actual fabric (despite my checking of hte bias stretch) sseems much looser on top with the pleats. I think I've been able to correct it. Now for construction to see if it's coming together...what will I do if it doesn't?"

"Ted told us it is better to fail spectacularly than to succeed safely...the only trouble is that NO ONE knows this is such a huge departure for me, so no one will understand the great triumph if ti works....to everyone else it will look like a simple sheath.mmmmmm"

"The strap design is giving me fits. Argh! I had a cool idea to weave 4 or 3 per shoulder but no way to ease it on and off or hook them...tried several other ways as well. I think I have settled on a "lacing" option with the leaf bails. One at each side in front and a pair at the closure in the center back...I think it will work...and if nothing else it will be interesting. (read: weird if they don't like it.)"

"Still trying to decide if I need the rhinestones after all. I thinkk I do. Hmmmm At least the gown fit is good :) Now the hemline can rest over the Sabbath!"

"Points to make: color, walking, point of view"


That is all from the journal for Round 1. Please note...I just write with a LOT of ellipsis. The abovve text is not edited. Commentary to follow.

No comments: